||One-year course in Folk Music on Nyckelharpa or Fiddle.
29th of Aug 2013 - 23rd of May 2014.
For more information - send an e-mail to
You are of course welcome to visit us at any time, just contact us first.
The present course 2013-2014
Head teachers are Ditte Andersson, Olov Johansson, Sonia Sahlström. Additional teachers are
Niklas Roswall (musical arrangement), Mia Marin (fiddle) and several guest teachers. The course
will be run with a mixed class of nyckelharpa and fiddle players.
The main focus is to improve your skills as a nyckelharpa or fiddle player. You will learn about
traditional nyckelharpa and fiddle music - the tunes and the dances - from different parts of
Sweden. You do not have to be a skilled player, but you should have passed the novice stage.
- Individual playing. Find the rhythm, play quicker, more melodically and more danceably.
- Ensemble playing. Play in a group in both traditional and more modern styles.
- Repertoire. Traditional Swedish nyckelharpa and fiddle tunes.
- Singing. Learn a clutch of Swedish folk songs and improve your pitch.
- Music theory. Learn how to write and arrange music. Improve your pitch (still further).
Master the basics of music theory and learn how to match melody and second voice.
- History. Learn the basics of folk music in Sweden.
- Dancing. Learning the dances will also help to improve your playing. And of course, it's great fun!
- Ergonomics. Learn how to cope with marathon practice sessions on your instrument.
Teaching is conducted in Swedish, but all the teachers speak English and are willing to help
those whose knowledge of Swedish is rather sparse. Still, you will need a Swedish/English and
The Institute is situated in an old hunting castle (at least that's what the Tobo residents call it) in Tobo,
30 miles north of and 30 minutes by train from Uppsala (itself a short ride from Stockholm Arlanda airport).
You will have your own furnished room with wc and shower. You will have access to ESI's library, laundry room, sauna
August 29 - December 18 2013
January 7 - May 23 2014
3,600 SEK/month for accomodation including half-board on week-days.
Application form can be downloaded from our home page. Please fill in the form and send it to the
Eric Sahlström Institute, Bruksgatan 3, 748 50 Tobo, Sweden.
Call or send e-mail.
Phone: +46(0)295-342 90
Eric Sahlström Institutet
SE-748 50 Tobo